Thursday, December 4, 2008

Loss of a Legend

...but her legacy will continue to thrive, and show to generations to come, what a wonderful light she was to our world.

I recently learned of the passing of an amazing, phenomenal woman who gave birth to another amazing, phenomenal woman. My sister, friend, mentor, and teacher, Dr. C. Anderson lost her mother, the late Mrs. H. Beal. I found out this unsettling and earth moving news on just a couple of days before Thanksgiving this year.

Although I did not have many interactions with Mrs. Beal, the few I did have were full of impact on my life. I was a teenager when I first met her, and she was, as a favor to her daughter, Dr. C., teaching me and another of my friends how to sing this song written by Andre Crouch, entitled Thanks (To God be the Glory).

I was immediately impressed by the playing and singing of this woman, this mother of one very strong and intelligent woman, and grandmother to another, whom I hear is becoming quite the young lady these days...

She made me feel, in just that one meeting of playing and learning the piano, that I could do anything. That I could be anything I wanted to be. She inspired me.

I know that might sound corny, but, I think we all have moments when we meet people, even if only for a brief time, that change our lives, our perspectives, and give us something of themselves that we will carry with us forever.

This is how I feel about this amazing and phenomenal educator, lover of children, mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, doting grandmother (and she loved them so!), and follower of Christ.

I pray for the strength of her family, and I know she's in a much better place. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to know her.

No comments: