Thursday, December 11, 2008

What the...?

You know, I usually consider myself to have some restraint of personal desire when in public settings. For instance, if someone says something ill advised or off color or inappropriate, I don't respond with my natural knee-jerk response, which might be to cuss that person out, humiliate them, or something else like that. I'm so glad that I have grown.

I was recalling an incident from my teen years with my husband the other day that actually shows how much I've grown. We were discussing how I basically told off a former teacher of mine, in rare form and fashion. I didn't use a single curse word, but I did manage to slice the poor man to shreds.

I remember at the time being proud of myself for telling him off, knowing that he deserved every bit of that tongue lashing, also knowing how revered I would be amongst some of my peers for my radical stance against authority.

Now, though, looking back on that sometimes impetuous girl I was, I am embarrassed. Now, I will admit that I am not ashamed of my behavior, because I was, at the time, justly irate. However, since I have grown and matured (two very key words), I now can recognize the rebelliousness of my actions and complete lack of consideration given to the respect I owed that teacher, if only for his position of authority over me.

I guess I'm saying all of that to say this - no matter the situation and the justification of the anger or frustration you may feel, it is not right to treat someone, anyone, without respect, even if you disagree with their point of view, lifestyle, or anything else about them.

Just wanted to drop some knowledge about something I was thinking about. I know I'm not the wisest or even the smartest, but, perhaps, I hope this can be of help to someone.

No comments: