Friday, September 11, 2009

So...

I want to talk about a few things - the most important one, I feel, is about the President addressing the students of the nation. I'm not going to get on my soapbox, because, frankly, if you don't know how I feel as a teacher, then, well, hey, I can't possibly write down anything to make you understand how upset I am at the scrutiny and critique this speech is getting, when, for years, I've watched several presidents speak to the students of this country without reproach or negative characterization. In fact, some of them have talked politics to us when this President, our President, President Obama basically just told the kids it is their responsibility to make something of themselves.

I'll just simply say that unfortunately, as much as many people want to say that we are a nation in healing and "over" racial division, this is just not true. There are so many prejudiced and racist people walking around in this country who just cannot handle a Black man as the nation's symbol. That's all it really boils down to, honestly.

And about the "lesson plans" that have been touted so much by many bloggers and "pundits", well, as a teacher, I actually know what a lesson plan is, and what they all are discussing sounds a lot like a worksheet to me. Not an actual lesson plan. Sorry. And, trust me, I know lesson plans. Especially after having made several this summer for my M.Ed classes, as well as preparing them for students I've taught over the years.

This is ridiculous, seriously. And, honestly, this is beyond the scope of my tolerance for foolishness. Since he has been elected, he has been ridiculed, criticized, and made out to be some sort of evil person bent on taking Democracy and turning it into something sinister.

How about we all just unite under him as our president, just like we have done for all the others in the past, whether we liked them or not, and give President Barack Obama the respect he has earned as our leader, our commander in chief. There is too much negative talk about who he is.

We don't really know him, do we? And we won't get the chance if he always has to stay on the defensive about everything he does.

Unfortunately, he knows about the Black Tax. And it looks like it's in full effect. Hopefully by this time next year, people will be more respectful and we'll be able to appear to the rest of the world as one unified nation.

Right now, I'm sad to say, we must look like a bunch of infighting clowns.

Let's get it together, y'all.

No comments: