Saturday, November 15, 2008

From the Archives - "Putting things behind me"

An oldie but a goodie, originally written January 27, 2008.  Enjoy!


I was on MySpace this morning or late evening, depending on your schedule, and I came across an old college classmate's page.  Seeing that this person was engaged and had just had a baby, like me.  Looking at the page made me have an old familiar pang, and I thought to myself, 'why am I still thinking about this?  where, indeed, did this come from?  i've got a wonderful life with a wonderful guy and a beautiful baby boy...'

I realized as I was continuing to look at pictures and read comments on this person's page, that even though we "get over" various hurts and disappointments in our lives, the memory of those things still carries the emotions you felt at the time.  Letting go, therefore, is a huge process that can only happen in great stages if the hurt was huge and major to your life, and should be almost instantaneous if it was something that lasted for only a brief moment as a blip on your radar.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I know that ten seconds can change your life.  But, when it comes to hurts, pains, and general knocked-about things that happen in life (as they have and do and will), your response should be one of maturity and growth, as well as something that you have truly thought about, if not tried to plan for.

I'm not saying this because I feel like I've acheived a certain level of maturity, but because I can recognize the growth in myself, as well as the places where I need to keep growing in order to catch up to the others.

Having said that, even though there is a bit of regret and pain, I can wish them well, and thank God that my life is as wonderful as it has become.

Here's to growth and maturity.

No comments: