Sunday, August 9, 2009

Some thoughts before bed

I know it's very early in the morning, and just as I was about to lay down to sleep, two things happened. First, my friend accidentally called me. :) That was funny! The second was I started thinking about how I wanted to write down something earlier, but I couldn't remember what, and suddenly I remembered.

Like a flood, seriously, here it all is, rushing out of me as fast as I can type it.

Well, first, this whole continuously introspectiveness (I know that's probably not a word) has me rethinking everything I do, including my global footprint, how to make sure Dray and I buy a house that will allow us to go off the grid sooner rather than later, living more green and less wasteful each and everyday, and figuring out how to rally my apartment complex into recycling...

Any-hoo, this all centered on my hair these past few weeks. My hair is something that I have always loved. I loved my hair, I think, as soon as I knew what it was...I was told I had thick, somewhat unruly hair (until my gramma or mama would wet a brush and get some blue grease (some of you know what I'm talking about) and then my waves would show). I always took pride in that. And it was thick, wavy and past my shoulders when I was younger, especially after Mama would press it out. I loved my hair.

Then, relaxers entered the picture. As much as it was easier for my mom to do my hair, my hair was never as healthy, or as well taken care of, until she started taking me to the salon regularly.
Then, when I would get my hair done every other week or so, it would be wonderful. I think it was quite healthy under professional care, and I enjoyed the relaxers.

Skip to the present day, when, in this economy and our financial situation, getting a relaxer as often as I would like, as well as regular hair maintenance by a professional, which is the best way to do things, is just not fiscally responsible for me.

I know it may sound cliche', but having Sean changed the way I think about every single dollar I spend. Long gone are my "young, single, and free" days. Now I'm young, married, and Mommy. I've changed so much from that chick that used to spend her money on what she wanted when she wanted - travel, clothes, food, drink, gifts, whatever. I almost don't remember her. Even the chick that moved to Maryland and became a responsible teacher, even she lived life a little differently, had a much fuller social calendar, and, well, spent her money how she wanted.

Hair care is something that is so far down on my priority list that it doesn't even make the list, wherever that is. But, the thing is, since I've started on this journey to better health and taking better care of Nakeisha, and learning to be a better me all around, hair care has popped up.

Let's face it, everyone wants to put the best face forward for any and all impressions. I don't want to walk into my future classrooms looking like a bum. And, frankly, just letting my hair grow and not doing anything but ocassionally washing it is not going to cut it for me. I want it to be healthy - a reflection of the me on the inside manifesting itself on the outside.

So, these past few weeks, I've been researching on natural hair care. It's something I'm extremely interested in simply because I can do my hair myself, it won't cost anything like getting regular relaxers, and my hair can get healthy with no or few chemicals. I don't have to worry about breakage due to not having my hair retouched in two or three months. (Currently, I have a patch of very short hair at my crown, mostly because of that reason, partly because of stress)

Anyway, I really wanted to put this out there, hoping some of my friends will read this and let me know what they think about this. I really, truly need some help in this department. I would love to get my hair straightened, but not chemically, and not necessarily permanently, should I ever want to have that "wash'n'go wet" look.

So, what are your thoughts, friends? Hope to hear from you soon.

No comments: